39. What is the procedure to enforce unpaid child maintenance?

In order to enforce unpaid child maintenance, the person to whom moneys should be paid may attend the court's office and file an application for disobedience of maintenance.  This application can be done only if the Court made an order that the maintenance money should be paid directly to the applicant or the applicant's bank account.  The applicant must also be in a position to inform the court's office of the outstanding period for which moneys are outstanding.

On the other hand, if the Court made a Collecting Officer's Order, then the accountant may issue a Warrant of Distress at the expiration of four (4) weeks and when the warrant has been returned if the Respondent still does not comply by paying the outstanding sums, the accountant may then issue a Warrant of Arrest.


Emergency Matters

Emergency Matters

Matrimonial Proceedings

Customer Service

customer complaints image

Strategic Plan

Strategic Plan for the Jamaican Judiciary 2019-2023