36. What is the procedure for applying for a protection order?

Pursuant to Section 3 of the Domestic Violence Act the Court may, on application, grant a protection order or occupation order. 

An application for any of these orders may be made-

(a)    by the spouse or parent in respect of whom the alleged conduct has been, or is likely to be, engaged in by            the respondent;


where the alleged conduct is used or threatened against a child or dependent by-


a person with whom the child or dependent normally resides or resides on a regular basis;


a parent or guardian of the child or dependent;


a dependent who is not mentally disabled;


a person who is approved' by the Minister responsible for social welfare to carry out social welfare work; or


 a Constable;


by a person who is a member of the respondent's household or who is in a visiting relationship with the respondent, in respect of the alleged conduct engaged in or threatened by the respondent toward that person.


Emergency Matters

Emergency Matters

Matrimonial Proceedings

Customer Service

customer complaints image

Strategic Plan

Strategic Plan for the Jamaican Judiciary 2019-2023